Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Alma 36

As Alma spoke to his son, Helaman, he began -

"...I swear unto you, that inasmuch as ye shall keep the commandments of God ye shall prosper in the land."  (Book of Mormon | Alma 36:1)

"...behold, thou art in thy youth, and therefore, I beseech of thee that thou wilt hear my words and learn of me; for I do know that whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day."  (Book of Mormon | Alma 36:3)

These two versus almost sounds like they contradict.  One might think, how do you prosper and yet have trials and afflictions.  My thoughts this morning is that "prosper" from the Lord's eternal perspective would suggest growth in a godly way.  Trials, troubles and afflictions are part of that.  In other words, trials, troubles and afflictions will come because things happen.

But the greater promise is that He will support you in those trials, troubles and afflictions.