Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Alma 35

I believe that much of ancient scripture was written as a result of the peoples desire to know concerning the existence of life immediately after death.  Thus much is written concerning "heaven" and "hell".  With the restoration of the gospel, thoughts have turned to a more eternal perspective, thus we now call the state of the individual after death, in lieu of heaven and hell, the terms, paradise and spirit prison.  This seems evident as Amulek teaches after death -

"Ye cannot say, when ye are brought to that awful crisis, that I will repent, that I will return to my God.  Nay, ye cannot say this; for that same spirit which doth possess your bodies at the time that ye go out of this life, that same spirit will have power to possess your body in that eternal world.
35 For behold, if ye have procrastinated the day of your repentance even until death, behold, ye have become subjected to the spirit of the devil, and he doth seal you his; therefore, the Spirit of the Lord hath withdrawn from you, and hath no place in you, and the devil hath all power over you; and this is the final state of the wicked."  (Book of Mormon | Alma 34:34 - 35)

With the restoration of the gospel, we now know this is spirit prison.

One more thought.  After preaching to the Zoramites, we read that Alma -

"...seeing that the hearts of the people began to wax hard, and that they began to be offended because of the strictness of the word, his heart was exceedingly sorrowful."  (Book of Mormon | Alma 35:15)

Isn't it interesting as our hearts begin to was hard, we become more easily offended considering the words of our prophets, seers and revelators to be to strict.