Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, May 05, 2016

Alma 31

As Alma and his brethren were about to separate and preach the gospel among the Zoramites, we read that Alma -

"...clapped his hands upon all them who were with him.  And behold, as he clapped his hands upon them, they were filled with the Holy Spirit."  (Book of Mormon | Alma 31:36)

And we read upon receiving the Spirit -

"...they did separate themselves one from another, taking no thought for themselves what they should eat, or what they should drink, or what they should put on.
38 And the Lord provided for them that they should hunger not, neither should they thirst; yea, and he also gave them strength, that they should suffer no manner of afflictions, save it were swallowed up in the joy of Christ.  Now this was according to the prayer of Alma; and this because he prayed in faith."  (Book of Mormon | Alma 31:37 - 38)

What a great blessing that could be granted to all in the Lord's service.

I will note that according to David J. Ridges -

"In the 1828 edition of the Noah Webster Dictionary (which reflects English usage in the days of the Prophet Joseph Smith), the word “clapped” is defined as “to thrust or put on.”

Which suggests to me that Alma could have easily laid his hands upon his brethren.