Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, June 23, 2014

Isaiah 34

Isaiah writes that the day will com that -

"...the heavens shall be rolled together as a scroll..."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 34:4)

John the Revelator, Mormon, and Joseph Smith also wrote of the heavens or the earth will be "rolled together as a scroll".  I have pondered these words on many occasions.  But to be honest, I have no idea what it means.  I have wondered if these words are related to the history of the earth and heaven where one side of the scroll is the beginning and the other, the end.  Another thought has come that a scroll has many layers or level beginning on the interior to the exterior.  I have wondered is this may be levels of the final state of man.  But again, I have no idea of its meaning.

In multiple places of scripture, we read such words as  -

"...they who are filthy are the devil and his angels; and they shall go away into everlasting fire, prepared for them; and their torment is as a lake of fire and brimstone, whose flame ascendeth up forever and ever and has no end."  (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 9:16)

Knowing that helps me better understand Isaiah's teachings -

"For it is the day of the LORD's vengeance, and the year of recompences for the controversy of Zion.
9 And the streams thereof shall be turned into pitch, and the dust thereof into brimstone, and the land thereof shall become burning pitch.
10 It shall not be quenched night nor day; the smoke thereof shall go up for ever..."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 34:8 - 10)

Sounds much the same.