Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Isaiah 32

Isaiah wrote that the day will come that their will be righteous leaders and -

"...the eyes of them that see shall not be dim, and the ears of them that hear shall hearken.
4 The heart also of the rash shall understand knowledge, and the tongue of the stammerers shall be ready to speak plainly."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 32:3 - 4)

Which suggests to me that the day will come that those that teach will speak plainly by the power of the Holy Ghost such that peoples hearts will understand doctrine and receive knowledge.

Down the same line, Isaiah even counseled -

"Rise up, ye women that are at ease; hear my voice, ye careless daughters; give ear unto my speech."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 32:9)

This last Sunday, I spoke at a stake Young Women meeting where I was impressed to speak on the same counsel.  For my own journal, my remarks were -

Being it is Father’s day, I would like to speak on a topic that is of greatest interest to fathers and men…the topic is “women”.

When Laman and Lemuel was asked to return to Jerusalem with Nephi and Sam to get the plates of Laban, we know they murmured all the way claiming that it was a hard thing to do.

But when Lehi asked them to return again to Jerusalem to get the daughters of Ishmael, there wasn’t a peep for some reason.  Suddenly this trip did not seem so hard after all.

Years later, as Lehi sensed that his days were numbered, he counseled Laman and Lemuel –

“…now that my soul might have joy in you, and that my heart might leave this world with gladness because of you, that I might not be brought down with grief and sorrow to the grave, arise from the dust, my sons, and be men…”  (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 1:21)

Obviously, what Lehi considered men should be is not necessarily what the world would consider men to be, such as we might find in GQ or Men’s Health magazines.  His thoughts were that men should be as the Lord would have men be…priesthood men.

As I pondered addressing you young women this morning for some reason my thoughts are much in the same line as Lehi’s, but this time with the young women.  Using much the same language as Lehi, I believe those words could easily have been said –

“…now that [our Father in Heaven] might have joy in you, and that “He” might [have] gladness because of you, arise from the dust, [oh daughters of Zion], and be [women]…”  (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 1:21)

Again, obviously, not as the world considers women should be as we might find in Cosmopolitan or Women’s Day magazines, but as what our Father in Heaven sees a true woman to be…women of Zion.

As I approached this topic this morning, I realized that I might be walking on very thin ice.  I realize that I could possibly offend…(maybe even with some of your Young Women leaders) and it makes me a little bit uneasy…especially being a man, a priesthood holder sharing my thoughts of what I think a woman should be.

So, as I pondered the idea of “arise from the dust and be women”.  My thoughts immediately went to some of the women in scripture that I thought would be great examples of true women…as the Lord would have them be.  The kind of woman our Mother in Heaven must be.

We know it all began with Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden.  As Adam was placed in the garden, the Gods said, (and being that Gods is plural, I believe the Gods included our Heavenly Mother) –

“…Let us make an help meet for the man, for it is not good that the man should be alone…”  (Pearl of Great Price | Abraham 5:14)

I think it is very important this morning to emphasize that the wording “help” and “meet” are written as two separate words.  Being two words would suggest that this addition would be a help, which of necessity, would have to be, at minimum, meet for man.  Some definitions of the word “meet” suggests living, working, and communicating one with another as equals, as in “meeting” or “meeting of the minds”.  The word “meet” also suggests that of highest quality and character.  In my mind, it was Eve that really completed Adam, being sufficiently meet, if not better than him.  Thus Eve would not only be of help to Adam, but she would also be “meet for him or equal to him.

And as they were placed together in the Garden, both Adam and Eve being meet for one another, were commanded –

“…Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat,
17  But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it, nevertheless, thou mayest choose for thyself, for it is given unto thee…”  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 3:16 - 17)

We know little of life in the Garden of Eden, but this morning I would like to suggest an analogy in my own life.  There are few things I enjoy more than sitting down and watching a good football game.  Under such a relaxing and enjoyable condition, I can’t help but envision someone approaching me, while I am relaxing watching a good game, interrupting me in an attempt to entice me, with say a nice big red apple. And then, in doing so tells me that I have a choice to make.   I can relax in my lounge chair watching good football games day after day or I can choose to eat this apple.  But if I choose to eat the apple, I will have to get out of my chair and go to work, which would mean –

“By the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, until thou shalt return unto the ground—for thou shalt surely die…”  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 4:25)

I think that would be a very easy decision for me…even if it was a chocolate chip cookie and bowl of ice cream instead of the apple.  Well I am sure it was an easy decision for Adam too!

But interesting enough, it doesn’t appear that the woman Eve felt the same way.  We know the Lord had already instructed Adam and Eve to –

“…Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth…”  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 2:28)

Using that same analogy, while Adam relaxed, watching football, Eve must have understandably longed for much more.  Possessing the, God given, divine nature of motherhood, those words to “be fruitful and multiply”, must have weighed heavy on her mind and heart. 

Contrary to how some may perceive life to be in the Garden, I believe both Adam and Eve well understood the conditions of the fall much more than some give them credit.  As Satan came to deceive Eve, I believe Eve was already pondering and struggling with how limiting life was in the garden and probably wondering how much more fulfilling life could really be with children, family and friends (especially with Adam sitting around watching football all day).  As Satan seemed to present many of the same thoughts that she may have already been pondering, she seemed to conclude to herself, “Is there no other way?”  

I personally don’t believe Satan deceived Eve at all in regards to the consequence of the fall.  I believe Eve understood that.  I believe where Eve was deceived was in the motives of Satan.  For we know that Satan’s sole purpose had nothing to do with helping Eve, but was entirely for personal gain, power, and glory as he –

“…sought to destroy the agency of man…”  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 4:3)

The real lie and deception was that he desired the posterity of Eve to miserable as himself.  And Satan knew this could only happen if Adam and Eve were expelled from the Garden.

It was mother Eve that took the initiative to take the necessary action so the plan of salvation could move forward for all of God’s children.  Even though her choice is considered a transgression, I honor and credit Eve for that choice and the great blessing of this second estate we now enjoy.  Hoping not to sound too disrespect, again using my personal analogy, her decision got Adam off the couch.

I believe the words of Lehi could have easily been written –

“[Eve first, then] Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy.”  (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 2:25)

Honor and praise be to the woman Eve.  Eve was a great example of what a true woman should be.  That is, willing to take the initiative in doing those things that she felt was right.

In the book of Judges we learn of the woman and prophetess, Deborah.  Of a prophet or prophetess the bible dictionary explains –

“The work of a…prophet [or prophetess is] to act as God's messenger and make known God's will.”  (Bible Dictionary | P Prophet:Entry)

Thus a prophet or prophetess is a teacher, a “forthteller not a foreteller”.  In order to be considered a prophetess, Deborah of necessity then, must have possessed the “spirit of prophecy” or in other words, a testimony of Jesus Christ for the angel declared to John the Revelator–

“…I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus…for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.”  (New Testament | Revelation 19:10)

Thus as explained in the bible dictionary –

“In a general sense a prophet is anyone who has a testimony of Jesus Christ by the Holy Ghost…” (Bible Dictionary | P Prophet:Entry)

Thus Deborah was a woman that possessed a testimony of Jesus Christ. She knew that the Savior would come to redeem mankind.  She was an example what Moses desired of all women, when he declared –

 “…would God that all the LORD's people were prophets, and that the LORD would put his spirit upon them!”  (Old Testament | Numbers 11:29)

A true woman then possesses a testimony of Jesus Christ and understands, teaches, and testifies of His true doctrine concerning the plan of salvation and that the Savior will come again.

The story of Ruth is a great love story in many ways.  What woman does not appreciate a great love story?  Ruth was devoted and loving woman that was willing to faithfully commit to her mother-in-law, Naomi, when she said after the death of her husband –

“…Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God:
17  Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried…”  (Old Testament | Ruth 1:16 - 17)

Ruth honored that faithful commitment.  When times became very tough and economically difficult, she didn’t bolt or abandon her mother-in-law, but instead she was willing to go out of the home and work in the field to support her for we read –

“…she went, and came, and gleaned in the field after the reapers…”  (Old Testament | Ruth 2:3)

And this she did do, day after day where –

“…she gleaned in the field until even…”  (Old Testament | Ruth 2:17)

To make this love story short, Ruth eventually fell in love, remarried and was blessed with a family.  In doing so, she become the great grandmother of King David and a direct ancestor of the Savior.  As a woman, Ruth was true to her commitments and covenants, and was prepared to work and do whatever was necessary to preserve life and family.

I can’t leave this story of womanhood without mentioning Naomi as she took on the loving role of grandmother.  Having recently become a grandparent, I love where it is written –

“And Naomi took the child, and laid it in her bosom, and became nurse unto it.
17  And the women her neighbours gave it a name, saying, There is a son born to Naomi…”  (Old Testament | Ruth 4:16 - 17)

What woman doesn’t cherish the role of being a grandmother?

I mentioned that just for your Young Women leaders!

In the days of Esther the tradition was that –

“All the king's servants, and the people of the king's provinces, do know, that whosoever, whether man or woman, shall come unto the king into the inner court, who is not called, there is one law of his to put him to death, except such to whom the king shall hold out the golden sceptre, that he may live…”  (Old Testament | Esther 4:11)

At the very peril of her life, Esther accepted the counsel of Mordecai where he counseled her –

“Think not with thyself … more than all the Jews.”  (Old Testament | Esther 4:13)

In order to preserve the lives of many Jews that were about to be slain, in great faith and risk, Esther went forth and –

“…put on her royal apparel, and stood in the inner court of the king's house…”  (Old Testament | Esther 5:1)

…which we know the law stated she should be put to death.  What great protection the Lord blessed her with as –

“...when the king saw Esther…standing in the court, that she obtained favour in his sight: and the king held out to Esther the golden sceptre that was in his hand.”  (Old Testament | Esther 5:2)

Thus her life was spared.  Because Esther had such great love for her people, brothers and sisters in the gospel, she risked her life that a great Jewish posterity would be preserved.  True women are willing to go to great risk to bless family and friends, whether it be life or reputation.

There are so many more great examples I could give, but the time is limited. For example –

There was the faithful and nurturing character of Hannah.
There was Sariah, wife of Lehi, which could not be comforted until her sons returned from their missions.
There was the queen,wife of Lamoni, a Lamanite, that had greater faith than all the Nephites…  And there are so many more examples

But before I leave these great examples of womanhood, it would be a mistake not to mention Mary, the mother of Jesus, being as Nephi saw –

“…A virgin, most beautiful and fair above all other virgins.”  (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 11:15)

Mary was such a virtuous woman that she was chosen to be the mother of the Son of God where –

“…the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.”  (New Testament | Luke 1:28)

A true woman is a virtuous woman.

As I pondered how I might summarize the words, “arise from the dust and be women”, what came to my mind were a few words in the Young Women theme – “we will be prepared to strengthen home and family”.  My thoughts were…that’s it!  How could I summarize it better?

In my mind, the true woman strengthens home and family. 

Many times it is said that the father is the head of the home.  If that is so, then the mother has to be the neck.  It is the neck that controls the head and points the head in the direction it should go.  I want you to know that is true from experience.

As true women, you have great capacity to strengthen home and family.

As we ponder the meaning of strengthening home and family, the Young Women theme also states, “We are daughters of our Heavenly Father”.  If we are daughters of a Heavenly Father, then we are all sisters in Zion and throughout the world.  This would also suggest that we are sisters to all the boys and men.  Are we not all one big family?  The scriptures refer to this as the house of Israel or family of Israel.  When we consider the meaning of strengthening the family, it really extends far beyond our own immediate family at home.

To be a true woman, you will strengthen your spiritual brothers and sisters, friends and neighbors.  And even those that you do not presently know. You will never know the impact you may have among young men and young women you associate with as you strive to live the Young Women values. 

To this day, I still honor and praise those young women that were true to their values that reached out to me when I was your age.  If you approach any of your priesthood leaders, I’m sure they could mention a number of young women that strengthened them also by their example.  Therefore -

“…now that [our Father in Heaven] might have joy in you, and that “He” might [ have] gladness because of you, arise from the dust, [Oh  daughters of Zion], and be [women]…”  (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 1:21)

In my mind, that would suggest…those that are women who strengthen home and family.