Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

D&C 42

As the Lord was about to reveal His law He instructed the saints -

"...ye shall see that my law is kept."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 41:4)

And then as He revealed His law, He again stated -

"Ye shall observe the laws which ye have received and be faithful."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 42:66)

His law was not limited to one law but many laws.  Obviously, agency is an essential part of establishing His law.  None are forced to comply with His law suggesting -

"If thou lovest me thou shalt serve me and keep all my commandments."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 42:29)

Our motive then be in love of the Savior, the atonement, and goodness.  I this is the case, we are commanded -

"...thou wilt remember the poor, and consecrate of thy properties for their support that which thou hast to impart unto them, with a covenant and a deed which cannot be broken.
31 And inasmuch as ye impart of your substance unto the poor, ye will do it unto me..."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 42:30 - 31)

"For inasmuch as ye do it unto the least of these, ye do it unto me."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 42:38)

Where we missed the boat where government cares for the poor and the needy, is this is done by constraint and compulsion, not by charity and love of the Lord.  Charity is not so when we are charitable with other peoples money.  And the requirement that is missed most in doing so is -

"Thou shalt not be idle; for he that is idle shall not eat the bread nor wear the garments of the laborer."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 42:42)

Herein is the higher law or God's law.