Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, February 04, 2013

D&C 38

Recently the Church has introduced a new teaching concept for the youth called "Come, Follow Me" with an emphasis on "teaching in the Savior's way".  This morning as I re-read teh 38th Section of the Doctrine & Covenants, I noticed some inserted instructions in teaching in this manner which include -

"...hear my voice and follow me..."   (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 38:22)

His voice is found by studying the scriptures and revelations.  Follow Him would suggest not only keeping His commandments but learning His method of teachign.

"...teach one another according to the office wherewith I have appointed you..."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 38:23)

To teach one another would suggest two way communication in questions, comments, and sharing.

"...let every man esteem his brother as himself..."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 38:24)

This would suggest an absence of pride where no one should feel He is smarter or better than anyone else.

"...practise virtue and holiness before me."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 38:24)

Worthiness is key to receiving the Spirit to teach therefore -

"....Be ye clean that bear the vessels of the Lord. (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 38:42)

"...be one..."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 38:27)

Be one would suggest unity and the avoidance of contention.

"...treasure up wisdom in your bosoms..."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 38:30)

Wisdom in my mind is righteous knowledge with experience.  Again, wisdom would include studying the scriptures, in other words, learn, then act, then share.

"...beware of pride..."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 38:39)

You can't be "one" with pride.

"...to prepare and accomplish the things which I have commanded."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 38:40)

For -

"...if ye are prepared ye shall not fear."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 38:30)

And -

"...let your preaching be the warning voice, every man to his neighbor, in mildness and in meekness."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 38:41)

The Savior always taught with mildness and meekness.