Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

D&C 36

In a visit to meet the Prophet Joseph Smith, in the revelation, the Lord instructed Edward Partridge (as a new convert) -

"...you are called to preach my gospel as with the voice of a trump..."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 36:1)

This is not the first time the Lord has used such a metafor in preaching His word.  As I pondered the words "voice of a trump", I began to picture what this visual instruction represented.  In my mind, when a trump is sounded, it is clear and stands above the noise and voices of the world.  The sound of a trump catches peoples attention to listena and hear.  Trumps usually are sounded so the people will gather and hear an important proclamation or message.

There is no question that the Lord wants His messaged sounded "by the weak things of the earth" to all people.   His gospel is of great importance to be heard.  He wants the people to gather and hear.

In the very next section, the Lord instructs His people to gather to the Ohio.  But I find it very interesting that the Lord then comments -

"Behold, here is wisdom, and let every man choose for himself until I come..."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 37:4)

The voice of the trump is the wisdom of the Lord, he always allows those that may hear their agency to choose.