Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

D&C 35

In a revelation to Sidney Rigdon, the Lord again reiterates how his work will move forward -

"...I call upon the weak things of the world, those who are unlearned and despised, to thrash the nations by the power of my Spirit..."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 35:13)

And of these the Lord promises -

"...their arm shall be my arm, and I will be their shield and their buckler; and I will gird up their loins, and they shall fight manfully for me; and their enemies shall be under their feet; and I will let fall the sword in their behalf, and by the fire of mine indignation will I preserve them.

15 And the poor and the meek shall have the gospel preached unto them, and they shall be looking forth for the time of my coming..."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 35:14 - 15)

Those that are looking forth  to Him coming are those that stand in "holy places" for -

"...they will hear my voice, and shall see me, and shall not be asleep, and shall abide the day of my coming; for they shall be purified, even as I am pure."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 35:21)

We even see among the the weak things that -

"...I have sent forth the fulness of my gospel by the hand of my servant Joseph; and in weakness have I blessed him;
18 And I have given unto him the keys of the mystery of those things which have been sealed, even things which were from the foundation of the world, and the things which shall come from this time until the time of my coming, if he abide in me, and if not, another will I plant in his stead."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 35:17 - 18)

Suggesting the even the Prophet Joseph Smith was not necessarily perfect and if he fails to "abide" in the Lord that the Lord will appoint another.  Which makes clear that the prophet will nor can ever lead His people astray.  Our duty to the prophet and our priesthood leaders is to -

"...watch over him that his faith fail not, and it shall be given by the Comforter, the Holy Ghost, that knoweth all things."  (Doctrine and Covenants   Section 35:19)

Where the prophet is to receive revelations concerning that which is sealed or unknowned in that  -

"...it shall be given unto him to prophesy; and thou shalt preach my gospel and call on the holy prophets to prove his words, as they shall be given him."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 35:23)

The promise is -

"Keep all the commandments and covenants by which ye are bound; and I will cause the heavens to shake for your good, and Satan shall tremble and Zion shall rejoice upon the hills and flourish..."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 35:24)