Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, January 31, 2013

D&C 38

At one of the first conferences of the newly restored Church, the Lord teaches some significant doctrine as he testifies -

"THUS saith the Lord your God, even Jesus Christ, the Great I AM..."  (Doctrine and Covenants
Section 38:1)

"The same which knoweth all things, for all things are present before mine eyes..."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 38:2)  

As human offspring, we cannot yet comprehend the omniscience of a exalted being.  Obviously, there are limitations of our physical beings as we know them.  He continues -

"I am the same which spake, and the world was made, and all things came by me."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 38:3)

The Savior declares Himself to be the great Jehovah and I Am being the creator of the world as spoken in Genesis.  And -

"I am the same which have taken the Zion of Enoch into mine own bosom; and verily, I say, even as many as have believed in my name, for I am Christ, and in mine own name, by the virtue of the blood which I have spilt, have I pleaded before the Father for them."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 38:4)  

In my mind then, the righteous and pure in heart that believe in His holy name and have been purified through the atonement are considered "Zion".   After having denounced the wicked and their doom, He again returns to the saints in Zion that are striving to repent and be obedient and instructs them -  

"But now I tell it unto you, and ye are blessed, not because of your iniquity, neither your hearts of unbelief; for verily some of you are guilty before me, but I will be merciful unto your weakness.
15 Therefore, be ye strong from henceforth; fear not, for the kingdom is yours."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 38:14 - 15)

For through His atonement He has promised -

"...my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."  (Book of Mormon  Ether 12:27)

They will be saints in Zion.