Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, February 07, 2013

D&C 39

After James Covill covenanted with the Lord to obey any commandment the Lord gave him, he received a marvelous blessing...almost in a sense a personal patriarchal blessing.  Though some of the blessing is general with all the saints, I want to note some very specific instructions given to Brother Coville.

"...I say unto you, my servant James, I have looked upon thy works and I know thee."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 39:7)

Obviously, the Lord knew James's strengths and weaknesses and comments -

"...thine heart is now right before me at this time; and, behold, I have bestowed great blessings upon thy head..."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 39:8)

But even though his heart was right at that time, the Lord also acknowledged -

"Nevertheless, thou hast seen great sorrow, for thou hast rejected me many times because of pride and the cares of the world."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 39:9)

Thus the question would be, would James keep his covenant or would he fall back on pride and the cares of the world.  The Lord tells hims that now is his chance for -

"...the days of thy deliverance are come, if thou wilt hearken to my voice, which saith unto thee: Arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on my name, and you shall receive my Spirit, and a blessing so great as you never have known.
11 And if thou do this, I have prepared thee for a greater work."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 39:10 - 11)

James is called to preach the gospel, but not necessarily according the manner which would be James will for the Lord tells him -

"Thou art called to labor in my vineyard, and to build up my church, and to bring forth Zion, that it may rejoice upon the hills and flourish.
14 Behold, verily, verily, I say unto thee, thou art not called to go into the eastern countries, but thou art called to go to the Ohio."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 39:13 - 14)

This was a test that we learn later that James Covill could not keep.  Sadly the great blessings that were pronounced upon his head were lost -

"Hence many are called, but few are chosen."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 121:40)