Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, February 08, 2013

D&C 41

During His mortal ministry, the Savior seemed most frustrated with hypocrits where he denounces them on many occasions as -

"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness." (New Testament | Matthew 23:27)

In preparation to reveal His law, He first counsels the early saints -

"I give unto you a commandment, that ye shall assemble yourselves together to agree upon my word;
3 And by the prayer of your faith ye shall receive my law, that ye may know how to govern my church and have all things right before me."  (  Doctrine and Covenants | Section 41:2 - 3)

And then comes the warning to hypocrites -

"...ye whom I delight to bless with the greatest of all blessings, ye that hear me; and ye that hear me not will I curse, that have professed my name, with the heaviest of all cursings."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 41:1)

And then adds -

"...ye shall see that my law is kept.
5 He that receiveth my law and doeth it, the same is my disciple; and he that saith he receiveth it and doeth it not, the same is not my disciple, and shall be cast out from among you;
6 For it is not meet that the things which belong to the children of the kingdom should be given to them that are not worthy, or to dogs, or the pearls to be cast before swine."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 41:4 - 6)

Obviously, with the giving new or restored law, this was to be a serious matter.

As Edward Partridge is called to be the first bishop and to administer His law on temporal matters, having no knowledge of that law that was to come forth, the Lord counseled -

"To see to all things as it shall be appointed unto him in my laws in the day that I shall give them."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 41:10)

That is the charge to all bishops and priesthood leaders in our day as new laws and policies are brought forth..."To see to all things" as they are given.