Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, February 06, 2013

D&C 38

Because of the wickedness and wicked plots that were being had in "secret chambers", the Lord had commanded the saints to relocate to Ohio.  In this revelation, He gives several explanations why -

"...that ye might escape the power of the enemy..."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 38:31)

"...and be gathered unto me a righteous people, without spot and blameless—"  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 38:31)

"...there I will give unto you my law..."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 38:32)

"...there you shall be endowed with power from on high..."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 38:32)

And the promise -

"...from thence, whosoever I will shall go forth among all nations, and it shall be told them what they shall do; for I have a great work laid up in store, for Israel shall be saved, and I will lead them whithersoever I will, and no power shall stay my hand."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 38:33)

This relocation was not a simple thing but a great sacrifice for the saints.  It is with that understanding that we learn a great deal on about riches and how we are to sacrifice and care for one another.

"...I give unto the church in these parts a commandment, that certain men among them shall be appointed, and they shall be appointed by the voice of the church;
35 And they shall look to the poor and the needy, and administer to their relief that they shall not suffer; and send them forth to the place which I have commanded them;
36 And this shall be their work, to govern the affairs of the property of this church.
37 And they that have farms that cannot be sold, let them be left or rented as seemeth them good.
38 See that all things are preserved; and when men are endowed with power from on high and sent forth, all these things shall be gathered unto the bosom of the church."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 38:34 - 38)

Obviously, we are to look after the poor and needy administering to their relief and if they cannot sale their property the efforts should be at least to bring gathered to the care and ownership of the Church -

"And if ye seek the riches which it is the will of the Father to give unto you, ye shall be the richest of all people, for ye shall have the riches of eternity; and it must needs be that the riches of the earth are mine to give; but beware of pride, lest ye become as the Nephites of old."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 38:39)

The Lord teaches that riches are given by the Father according to His will so beware of pride...it will lead to your downfall.  But Jacob taught that if we are granted riches -

"...if ye seek them; and ye will seek them for the intent to do good—to clothe the naked, and to feed the hungry, and to liberate the captive, and administer relief to the sick and the afflicted."  (Book of Mormon  Jacob 2:19)