Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, October 29, 2009

D&C 58

As the saints arrived in Zion, the Lord instructed Bishop Partridge that -

"...this land is the land of his residence, and those whom he has appointed for his counselors; and also the land of the residence of him whom I have appointed to keep my storehouse..."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 58:24)

I believe it is signficant that a bishop has counselors.  Counselors are those appointed to provide counsel to the bishop.  In other words, they are to speak their minds and hearts.  Counselors are exactly that in that they provide counsel but in doing so they should not be offended if their counsel is not accepted.  They should recognize again that they are appointed to counsel.  The Lord then provides this incite -

"...as they shall counsel between themselves and me."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 58:25)

The prayer of faith should be extended in any circumstances that the Lord will be present in their discussions for the Lord has promised -

"For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them."  (New Testament Matthew 18:20)

The Lord continues His instruction for the bishop and his counselors -

"For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.
27 Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;
28 For the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves..."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 58:26 - 28)

And again He promises -

"...inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their reward."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 58:28)