Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, October 19, 2009

D&C 45

One of the more popular parables given in the meridian of time is that of the ten virgins.  In modern day, the Lord builds upon this parable saying -

"...at that day, when I shall come in my glory, shall the parable be fulfilled which I spake concerning the ten virgins."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 45:56)

And then he teaches us the two principles that whereby we will be prepared for his coming or in other words, that our lamps will be trimmed with oil -

"For they that are wise and have received the truth, and have taken the Holy Spirit for their guide, and have not been deceived..."  (Doctrine and Covenants
Section 45:57)
 
The first principle is that the wise receive the truth.  In my mind, "receiving" the truth is not merely professing an acceptance of the Savior, but something more.  It is receiving or treasuring up His words, reading and pondering the scriptures, hearkening and obeying the words of His servants the prophets, and doing His will.  But with this there is more - that is taking the Holy Ghost as our guide.  In connection with receiving the truth, praying to the Father and then listening to and following the promptings of the Spirit.  Those two principles are promises the we will not be deceived for -
 
"...verily I say unto you, they shall not be hewn down and cast into the fire, but shall abide the day."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 45:57)