Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, October 15, 2009

D&C 43

There were a few of the Savior's words that touched me this morning.  To all of His children, He said -

"O, ye nations of the earth, how often would I have gathered you together as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, but ye would not!"  (Doctrine and Covenants
Section 43:24)
 
But then He tells us how He has gone about gathering His children -
 
"How oft have I called upon you by the mouth of my servants, and by the ministering of angels, and by mine own voice, and by the voice of thunderings, and by the voice of lightnings, and by the voice of tempests, and by the voice of earthquakes, and great hailstorms, and by the voice of famines and pestilences of every kind, and by the great sound of a trump, and by the voice of judgment, and by the voice of mercy all the day long, and by the voice of glory and honor and the riches of eternal life, and would have saved you with an everlasting salvation, but ye would not!"  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 43:25)
 
The first one He mentions is that He has called by the mouth of His servants.  In my mind, "my servants" are those called with authority and sent forth among the children of men to testify of the truth, or in other words - missionaries. 
 
The second is "by the ministering of angels".  By definition, angels are messengers sent by God.  Angels could then be both spiritual as well as physical beings.  My thoughts of "ministering angels" include visiting teachers, home teachers, and leaders who invite all to come to Christ.
 
What also struck me this morning was the counsel of the Lord -
 
"Hearken ye to these words. Behold, I am Jesus Christ, the Savior of the world. Treasure these things up in your hearts, and let the solemnities of eternity rest upon your minds."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 43:34)
 
It was the "solemnities of eternity" that caught my attention.  We are counseled that in business of everyday life.  He wants us to stop and ponder, read and pray and treasure up his words in our hearts.  And in doing so, ponder the eternal seriouness and consequences of why we are here and what we hope to become - the solemnities of eternity.