Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

D&C 52

To the elders of the Church in Kirtland, the Lord taught -

"I will give unto you a pattern in all things, that ye may not be deceived..."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 52:14)

One of those patterns was the manner in which the priesthood is to speak -

"He that speaketh, whose spirit is contrite, whose language is meek and edifieth, the same is of God if he obey mine ordinances."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 52:16)

I note that he who speaks, he nature should be contrite.  Contrite means -

"feeling or showing sorrow and remorse for a sin or shortcoming" (Merriam - Webster)

and with being contrite, the speakers language should be meek and edifieth.  Edification is light and comes only by the Holy Ghost requiring the speaker to speak by the Holy Ghost.  As the Lord continued, I thought of my days on the high council and having to regularly speak -

"And again, he that trembleth under my power shall be made strong, and shall bring forth fruits of praise and wisdom, according to the revelations and truths which I have given you."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 52:17)

That promise in itself brings one that has been asked to speak, age great deal of comfort.