Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

D&C 48

As I read the revelation now known as Section 38 of the Doctrine and Covenants, I sensed the beginning or the introduction of the law of consecration as the Lord said -

"I give unto you a commandment, for I have heard your prayers, and the poor have complained before me, and the rich have I made, and all flesh is mine, and I am no respecter of persons.
17 And I have made the earth rich, and behold it is my footstool, wherefore, again I will stand upon it.
18 And I hold forth and deign to give unto you greater riches, even a land of promise, a land flowing with milk and honey, upon which there shall be no curse when the Lord cometh;
19 And I will give it unto you for the land of your inheritance, if you seek it with all your hearts.
20 And this shall be my covenant with you, ye shall have it for the land of your inheritance, and for the inheritance of your children forever, while the earth shall stand, and ye shall possess it again in eternity, no more to pass away.
21 But, verily I say unto you that in time ye shall have no king nor ruler, for I will be your king and watch over you.
22 Wherefore, hear my voice and follow me, and you shall be a free people, and ye shall have no laws but my laws when I come, for I am your lawgiver, and what can stay my hand?
23 But, verily I say unto you, teach one another according to the office wherewith I have appointed you;
24 And let every man esteem his brother as himself, and practise virtue and holiness before me.
25 And again I say unto you, let every man esteem his brother as himself."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 38:16 - 25)

As short time later, the Lord said -

"...thou wilt remember the poor, and consecrate of thy properties for their support that which thou hast to impart unto them, with a covenant and a deed which cannot be broken."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 42:30)

It is in the revelation I read this morning that the beginnings regarding the administration of this law or united order was introduced -

"...they shall be appointed to purchase the lands, and to make a commencement to lay the foundation of the city; and then shall ye begin to be gathered with your families, every man according to his family, according to his circumstances, and as is appointed to him by the presidency and the bishop of the church, according to the laws and commandments which ye have received, and which ye shall hereafter receive."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 48:6)

It is always interesting how the Lord teaches -

"...precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little..."  (Old Testament Isaiah 28:13)