Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, October 12, 2009

D&C 41

Before the Lord was to reveal His law, he counseled the priesthood -

"Hearken, O ye elders of my church whom I have called, behold I give unto you a commandment, that ye shall assemble yourselves together to agree upon my word..."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 41:2)

The priesthood was to assemble, not to vote on the validity of doctrine, but be prepared to learn and accept (agree) upon His word, for He promised -

"by the prayer of your faith ye shall receive my law..."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 41:3)

Why?

"...that ye may know how to govern my church and have all things right before me."  (Doctrine and Covenants   Section 41:3)

The priesthood was not to debate how to govern His church, but come to understand how to govern using His laws.  With this specific charge -

"...ye shall see that my law is kept."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 41:4)

For -

"He that receiveth my law and doeth it, the same is my disciple; and he that saith he receiveth it and doeth it not, the same is not my disciple, and shall be cast out from among you..."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 41:5)

The Lord delivered that law several days later in what we now know as the 42nd Section of the Doctrine and Covenants.