Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, October 09, 2009

D&C 39

To James Covill, the Lord said -

"...I have looked upon thy works and I know thee."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 39:7)

I believe that because we have been known throughout the eternities, the same holds true for each of us - He knows us!  One thing the Lord knew of James was -

"...thou hast seen great sorrow, for thou hast rejected me many times because of pride and the cares of the world."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 39:9)

It is clear that James Covill is not the only one that has struggled with this vice.  Of the vision of the Tree of Life, Nephi learned that -

"...the large and spacious building, which thy father saw, is vain imaginations and the pride of the children of men."  (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 12:18)

From this vision we learn that a signficant portion of the people have this problem.  This is also apparent in the parable of the sower  -

"...he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it;
21 Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.
22 He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful."  (New Testament Matthew 13:20 - 22)

We learn later of James Coville that -

"...he received the word with gladness, but straightway Satan tempted him; and the fear of persecution and the cares of the world caused him to reject the word."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 40:2)

Let this be a warning to all saints when they set their hearts become set on pride and the cares of the world.