Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, October 08, 2009

D&C 38

Things always seem to become more clear as we look in hindsight.  The Lord declared -

"...I will give unto the children of men line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little..."  (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 28:30)

To me, this becomes more apparent as I pondered this revelation (D&C 38) this morning.  I believe by the time the Lord delivered this revelation, the revelations of Moses and that of Enoch and the city Zion had already been received.  It is herein that I noticed the beginning instructions on the commandment and blessings of the law of consecration.  The Lord subtlely introduces -

"And for your salvation I give unto you a commandment, for I have heard your prayers, and the poor have complained before me, and the rich have I made, and all flesh is mine, and I am no respecter of persons."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 38:16)

The Lord then emphasizes -

"...I have made the earth rich, and behold it is my footstool, wherefore, again I will stand upon it.
18 And I hold forth and deign to give unto you greater riches, even a land of promise, a land flowing with milk and honey, upon which there shall be no curse when the Lord cometh..."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 38:17 - 18)

And then He promises -

"I will give it unto you for the land of your inheritance, if you seek it with all your hearts.
20 And this shall be my covenant with you, ye shall have it for the land of your inheritance, and for the inheritance of your children forever..."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 38:19 - 20)

I specifically noticed this morning - "if you seek it with all your hearts".  And what is this precept that the saints were to seek with all their hearts? 

"...let every man esteem his brother as himself, and practise virtue and holiness before me.
25 And again I say unto you, let every man esteem his brother as himself."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 38:24 - 25)

This is the very concept of a people of Zion for -

"...the Lord called his people ZION, because they were of one heart and one mind, and dwelt in righteousness; and there was no poor among them."  (Pearl of Great Price  Moses 7:18)

I'm sure the saints may not have had a complete picture of what the Lord was commanding and promising.  It was just the beginning of this instruction - line of upon line and precept upon prescept.  But nonetheless, the Lord still expected of them -

"I say unto you, I give unto you a commandment, that every man, both elder, priest, teacher, and also member, go to with his might, with the labor of his hands, to prepare and accomplish the things which I have commanded."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 38:40)