Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, January 07, 2015

John 4

As His disciples returned with food to the well where the Savior had just met with the Samarian woman -

"...his disciples prayed him, saying, Master, eat."  (New Testament | John 4:31)

We already know that the Savior was -

"...wearied with his journey..."  (New Testament | John 4:6)

But even being weary, the Savior took the opportunity to teach His disciples saying -

"...I have meat to eat that ye know not of."  (New Testament | John 4:32)

...much like spoken to the woman at the well where He taught -

"...whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life."  (New Testament | John 4:14)

Living water was spoken by Jeremiah as -

"For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken me the fountain of living waters, and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water."  (Old Testament | Jeremiah 2:13)

Obviously, the Savior is the fountain of living waters -

"...and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 58:11)

Returning to the Savior's comments on food His disciples know not of, they answered -

"...Hath any man brought him ought to eat?"  (New Testament | John 4:33)

It is then the Savior teaches this great lesson -

"...My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work.
35 Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest.
36 And he that reapeth receiveth wages, and gathereth fruit unto life eternal: that both he that soweth and he that reapeth may rejoice together.
37 And herein is that saying true, One soweth, and another reapeth.
38 I sent you to reap that whereon ye bestowed no labour: other men laboured, and ye are entered into their labours."  (New Testament | John 4:34 - 38)

In my mind, the food is the gospel wherein we learn that there are sowers and reapers with the gospel.  My thoughts are that as we live righteously, we are always sowers to our friends and neighbors.