Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, December 19, 2014

Luke 17

To the Jewish leaders, the Savior said -

"...Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God."  (New Testament | Luke 16:15)

I believe that is a great truth among many of our political leaders.  Sounds much like in modern revelation -

"We have learned by sad experience that it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority, as they suppose, they will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 121:39)

The apostles, having leadership opportunities in the Church, asked the Savior how they could increase there faith (not being like the political leaders), in response, the Savior taught -

"If ye had faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye might say unto this sycamine tree, Be thou plucked up by the root, and be thou planted in the sea; and it should obey you.
7 But which of you, having a servant plowing or feeding cattle, will say unto him by and by, when he is come from the field, Go and sit down to meat?
8 And will not rather say unto him, Make ready wherewith I may sup, and gird thyself, and serve me, till I have eaten and drunken; and afterward thou shalt eat and drink?
9 Doth he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I trow not."  (New Testament | Luke 17:6 - 9)

The Savior then answered -

"So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do."  (New Testament | Luke 17:10)

It becomes apparent that we should have no claim on some great reward because we keep the commandments.  Our  attitude should be that it is our duty and a privilege to keep His commandments.  King Benjamin taught his people -

"...if ye should serve him with all your whole souls yet ye would be unprofitable servants."  (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 2:21)

Because we are immediately blessed and are always in His debt.