Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, January 05, 2015

John 1

We speak much of the necessity of having faith in Jesus Christ and in His atonement.  We see this among the early disciples called by the Savior.  I was impressed as -

"Philip findeth Nathanael, and saith unto him, We have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.
46 And Nathanael said unto him, Can there any good thing come out of Nazareth? Philip saith unto him, Come and see.
47 Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him, and saith of him, Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile!
48 Nathanael saith unto him, Whence knowest thou me? Jesus answered and said unto him, Before that Philip called thee, when thou wast under the fig tree, I saw thee.
49 Nathanael answered and saith unto him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God; thou art the King of Israel."  (New Testament | John 1:45 - 49)

I sense a little bit of humor in Nathanael's sarcastic response of anything good come out of Nazareth.  Those words bring out some personality in Nathanael.  But Nathanael immediately believed showing the attribute of faith as the Savior knew him and spoke of his past.  What is impressive is the promise of such to those that have faith as the Savior responded -

"...Because I said unto thee, I saw thee under the fig tree, believest thou? thou shalt see greater things than these.
51 And he saith unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Hereafter ye shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of man."  (New Testament | John 1:50 - 51)

One may want to reviews Alma's teaching on faith in Alma 32