Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, December 22, 2014

Luke 19

Recently I blogged about what I call the parable of the friend where a man importunes a friend for bread at midnight.  This same principle seems to again be taught with parable of the Unjust Judge where -

"...There was in a city a judge, which feared not God, neither regarded man:
3 And there was a widow in that city; and she came unto him, saying, Avenge me of mine adversary.
4 And he would not for a while: but afterward he said within himself, Though I fear not God, nor regard man;
5 Yet because this widow troubleth me, I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me.
6 And the Lord said, Hear what the unjust judge saith.
7 And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them?
8 I tell you that he will avenge them speedily."  (New Testament | Luke 18:2 - 8)

Again we are taught that we should pray and plead continually for the blessings of the Lord.  In my mind, "avenge them speedily", will come only at the will and pleasure of the Lord.

This morning I note that in the parable of the pounds, I find a great lesson where there are three types of individuals and the consequence of their actions.  One type being those faithful in using the pound for good.  To this type the Lord said -

"...Well, thou good servant: because thou hast been faithful in a very little, have thou authority over ten cities."  (New Testament | Luke 19:17)

Which suggests those that kept their second estate and receive greater increase or eternal increase.  The second type did not do anything wasting this opportunity. To this type -

"...Out of thine own mouth will I judge thee, thou wicked servant. Thou knewest that I was an austere man, taking up that I laid not down, and reaping that I did not sow:
23 Wherefore then gavest not thou my money into the bank, that at my coming I might have required mine own with usury?
24 And he said unto them that stood by, Take from him the pound, and give it to him that hath ten pounds."  (New Testament | Luke 19:22 - 24)

Which suggests to me a loss of the opportunity of increase.  Then the third type were those where -

"...his citizens hated him, and sent a message after him, saying, We will not have this man to reign over us."  (New Testament | Luke 19:14)

These obviously are the wicked to whom the Lord said that -

"...those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me."  (New Testament | Luke 19:27)

I believe in this parable the Savior is teaching the doctrine of degrees of glory.