Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, January 02, 2015

John 1

As John begins his record, the King James version of the translation of Greek text (I believe) seems kind of confusing.  I've wondered it this is really what John wrote -

"IN the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not."  (New Testament | John 1:1 - 5)

The Prophet Joseph Smith version of the translation makes much more sense to me as he translated -

"In the beginning was the gospel preached through the Son. And the gospel was the word, and the word was with the Son, and the Son was with God, and the Son was of God.
2. The same was in the beginning with God.
3. All things were made by him; and without him was not anything made which was made.
4. In him was the gospel, and the gospel was the life, and the life was the light of men;
5. And the light shineth in the world, and the world perceiveth it not."  (JST | John 1:1 - 5) (See John - LDS Bible Dictionary)

Herein we learn that the gospel or doctrine of Christ, or in my mind the very plan of exaltation  (the word) was taught from the beginning or in other words, the premortal existence by the Savior.  In my mind, the gospel taught by Christ is the oppourtunity of life or eternal life for all men by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel.

We learn that God the Father and Jesus Christ are seperate individuals but both considered God.  We learn the Christ in His premortal state created the world and all things.

Now this makes sense.  Probably what John really wrote.