Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, January 06, 2015

John 3

After attending the Passover in Jerusalem (the first in His ministry), Jesus departs and goes to Judea where we read -

"...came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judæa; and there he tarried with them, and baptized."  (New Testament | John 3:22)

Obviously, Jesus began baptizing.  I believe He baptized the disciples that followed him.  Whether He was in the same location as John or not, it seems they were very close for -

"...there arose a question between some of John's disciples and the Jews about purifying.
26 And they came unto John, and said unto him, Rabbi, he that was with thee beyond Jordan, to whom thou barest witness, behold, the same baptizeth, and all men come to him."  (New Testament | John 3:25 - 26)

Purifying in my mind was baptism for the remission of sins.  It was to this question by John's disciples that John taught -

"...A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven.
28 Ye yourselves bear me witness, that I said, I am not the Christ, but that I am sent before him.

29 He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled."  (New Testament | John 3:27 - 29)

I believe John senses His mission and calling is now closing and fulfilled.  What I was touched by this morning was John's acknowledgement -

"He must increase, but I must decrease."  (New Testament | John 3:30)

I think this is a very important statement and truth.  There are times that members are called to important or highly profile callings or presiding positions.  But the time comes when individuals are released an others sustained.  Former presiding officers must "decrease" and allow the newly called to "increase".  The saints should recognize one has been released and the new is now presiding.  John somewhat reflects that in his statement.