Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Luke 15

The Savior spake in parable -

"What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it?
5 And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing.
6 And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost.
7 I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance."  (New Testament | Luke 15:4 - 7)

This parable is usually taught that the ninety and nine are faithful saints, but I noticed this morning that the Savior was speaking directly to the Pharisees who thought they needed no repentance for we read -

"THEN drew near unto him all the publicans and sinners for to hear him.
2 And the Pharisees and scribes murmured, saying, This man receiveth sinners, and eateth with them."  (New Testament | Luke 15:1 - 2)

It is to these Pharisees that He spake.  Thus, in my mind, the parable is about leaving the self-righteous individuals or friends that think they need no repentance to rescue a sinner that is willing to repent.  No wonder heaven as great joy as each person or sinner repents.