Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

John 20

I have a painting on my stake office wall of what a appears to be a wrapping of linen that is draped and hanging of a stone platform.  The writing underneath is "He is not here".  I've had some suggest that the painting is not accurate in that the Savior folded his wrappings.  But just a matter of note, John records -

"Then cometh Simon Peter following him, and went into the sepulchre, and seeth the linen clothes lie,
7 And the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself."  (New Testament | John 20:6 - 7)

Just another note.  According to John's record, the Savior said to Mary Magdalene -

"...Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God."  (New Testament | John 20:17)

But the Joseph Smith translation records -

"... Hold me not..."  (Footnote:John 20:17)

Which would suggest that Mary did hug Him and probably did not want to let go...which sounds reasonable to me.

I also note the Savior differentiated His relationship with His Father and Mary's relationship to the Father.