Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, January 15, 2015

John 11

As the Savior was "beyond Jordan", He received word concerning Lazarus, in that -

"...his sisters sent unto him, saying, Lord, behold, he whom thou lovest is sick."  (New Testament | John 11:3)

Upon hearing this -

"...he said, This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby."  (New Testament | John 11:4)

It seems apparent that the Savior had plans whereby He might be glorified by a miracle for -

"When he had heard therefore that he was sick, he abode two days still in the same place where he was."  (New Testament | John 11:6)

Even telling His disciples -

"...Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.
12 Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well."
13 Howbeit Jesus spake of his death..."  (New Testament | John 11:11 - 13)

Obviously, Jesus already knew that Lazarus had passed on and He planned to raise Him from the dead for He even plainly told His disciples -

"...Lazarus is dead."  (New Testament | John 11:14)

 But what caught my attention the most were His outspoken words as the stone to the cave was removed, where -

"...Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me.
42 And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou hast sent me." (New Testament | John 11:41 - 42)

Jesus repeats over and over that He does nothing but the Father's will.  It is apparent to me, maybe while beyond Jordan, that He had prayed to the Father for in a sense, His permission to perform this great miracle of raising Lazarus from the dead.  What a great lesson for us all as we seek to do the will of the Father in our callings and family responsibilities.