Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

John 13

We are counseled in modern scripture -

"...now I give unto you a commandment that what I say unto one I say unto all..."   (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 61:18)

I believe that to be true concerning the gospel of Jesus Christ and His commandments.  But I don't believe it is true concerning priesthood authority and keys and rights of administration.  To His apostles, the Savior explained to the resistant Peter and the washing of his feet -

"...If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me."  (New Testament | John 13:8)

Adding -

"...He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean..."  (New Testament | John 13:10)

After the Savior had washed the feet of His apostles -

"...he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you?
13 Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am.
14 If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.
15 For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you." (New Testament | John 13:12 - 15)

I believe that this action was a special ordinance requiring special authority.  Thus, in my mind, it is limited to those He specifically instructed to perform and not necessarily to all.

There is something else I believe of great significance the Savior taught saying -

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.
17 If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them."  (New Testament | John 13:16 - 17)

In this case, I believe the Savior is teaching with the word "Lord" would be a file leader as President Packer has mentioned.  Everyone in the Church has a file leader no matter what the calling.  As His servants we are happy as we follow the counsel of our file leaders.