Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, January 26, 2015

John 17

As Christ humbly gives His intercessory prayer to His Father in Heaven for His apostles, He teaches that -

"...this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent."  (New Testament | John 17:3)

To have eternal life or exaltation, we must really come to know the Savior and our Father in Heaven.  In other words, we must become like them.  By the Savior's language and prayer, it appears obvious to me that our Father and Heaven and the Savior are two distinct individuals...literally, exalted persons not undefinable entities.  Some interpret that they are one of the same.  But we learn more as the Saviors speaks of His apostles and disciples -

"...Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are."  (New Testament | John 17:11)

"That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us..."  (New Testament | John 17:21)

"And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one..."  (New Testament | John 17:22)

Obviously, oneness is in reference to unity and likeness...even glory...thus we become not equal but like them.  Sounds like a father and son relationship.

I want to add some final words (I feel commandment) spoken of the Savior to His disciples saying -

"In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."  (New Testament | John 16:33)

Peace comes when we consider life from an eternal perspective.