Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, January 12, 2015

John 7

I find the 6th and 7th Chapters of John quite touching and overwhelming.  How do you blog about these two chapters without quoting all the verses.  In these chapters, the Savior declares His divine Sonship, that He does nothing but the will of the Father, and using the analogy of spiritual food and water, He teaches that it is only through Him that exaltation and eternal life is available.  And no matter how he tried, the Jews (including the Jewish leaders) did not understand saying -

"...This is an hard saying; who can hear it?..."  (New Testament | John 6:60)

And -

"What manner of saying is this that he said..."  (New Testament | John 7:36)

In that they were looking for someone, in my mind, to come and save them in the temporal and welfare needs -

"...that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him."  (New Testament | John 6:66)

How disheartening this must have been for the Savior.  Some of the highlights of the true doctrine He taught included -

"...Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.
56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.
57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me."  (New Testament | John 6:53 - 57)

Obviously, we must totally take within us His doctrine, having faith in Him, repenting, and take upon us His ordinances and covenants for -

"...My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
17 If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself."  (New Testament | John 7:16 - 17)

And -

"...If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. 
39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)"  (New Testament | John 7:37 - 39)

Obviously, when Jesus taught, He spoke of spiritual things while the Jew only considered temporal things.