Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Mark 14

I was touched this morning as the Savior -

"...being in Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, as he sat at meat, there came a woman having an alabaster box of ointment of spikenard very precious; and she brake the box, and poured it on his head."  (New Testament | Mark 14:3)

Being that this ointment was "very precious", we learn that it could of sold for around three hundred pence.  David J. Ridges said that this was worth about a "year's wages".  I would call this ointment extremely precious.

Obviously, this special women understood whom the Savior was and what was going to happen.  What a great example of sacrifice for Him that was about to take upon Him the sins of the world.  And as she did this -

"...there were some that had indignation within themselves, and said, Why was this waste of the ointment made?
5 For it might have been sold for more than three hundred pence, and have been given to the poor. And they murmured against her."  (New Testament | Mark 14:4 - 5)

I would have to confess that my reaction might have been much like these brethren.  But of this great act of sacrifice -

"...Jesus said, Let her alone; why trouble ye her? she hath wrought a good work on me.
7 For ye have the poor with you always, and whensoever ye will ye may do them good: but me ye have not always.
8 She hath done what she could: she is come aforehand to anoint my body to the burying.
9 Verily I say unto you, Wheresoever this gospel shall be preached throughout the whole world, this also that she hath done shall be spoken of for a memorial of her."  (New Testament | Mark 14:6 - 9)

As I think of my wife and other women in the Church, I believe they would have much the same compassion as this women.