Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Mark 1

As the Savior began His ministry -

"...he walked by the sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and Andrew his brother casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers.
17 And Jesus said unto them, Come ye after me, and I will make you to become fishers of men.
18 And straightway they forsook their nets, and followed him."  (New Testament | Mark 1:16 - 18)

And then -

"...when he had gone a little further thence, he saw James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, who also were in the ship mending their nets.
20 And straightway he called them: and they left their father Zebedee in the ship with the hired servants, and went after him."  (New Testament | Mark 1:19 - 20)

Later -

"...as he passed by, he saw Levi the son of Alphæus [Matthew] sitting at the receipt of custom, and said unto him, Follow me. And he arose and followed him."  (New Testament | Mark 2:14)

I find it interesting that when these brethren were called, they left their worldly employment to follow the Savior.  It does not necessarily say that they did not at times return for a period to earn an income nor does it say that they did forsake family for the Savior.  It is hard for me to believe the Savior would have them totally forsake family for him.  In fact we read that after Peter dropped everything to follow the Savior that -

"...they entered into the house of Simon and Andrew, with James and John.
30 But Simon's wife's mother lay sick of a fever, and anon they tell him of her.
31 And he came and took her by the hand, and lifted her up; and immediately the fever left her, and she ministered unto them."  (New Testament | Mark 1:29 - 31)

I believe the message is, when the Savior calls or His representatives extend calls, we set aside wordly things in pursuit of His will.