Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, November 10, 2014

Mark 6

I believe the experience recorded by Mark has great symbolism.  After having fed the 5,000 with five loaves of bread and two fish, the Savior -

"...straightway he constrained his disciples to get into the ship, and to go to the other side before unto Bethsaida, while he sent away the people.
46 And when he had sent them away, he departed into a mountain to pray."  (New Testament | Mark 6:45 - 46)

I look at this as a great symbolism as we are "sent away" to this second estate or life on earth. It is while on the sea -

"...when even was come, the ship was in the midst of the sea, and he alone on the land.
48 And he saw them toiling in rowing; for the wind was contrary unto them..."   (New Testament | Mark 6:47 - 48)

It was while it was dark or darkness had fallen them that He saw that they were struggling with great opposition.  My first thought was, being on land and being dark, obviously, no natural man would be able to see this.  But the Savior did and recognized their need.  And then -

"...about the fourth watch of the night he cometh unto them, walking upon the sea, and would have passed by them."  (New Testament | Mark 6:48)

Obviously, He allowed them to struggle for a period.  Interesting enough, He didn't come to them but walked by as if He would pass them.  In my mind, symbolically, man has to reach out or demonstrate faith in Him. And -

"...when they saw him walking upon the sea, they supposed it had been a spirit, and cried out:
50 For they all saw him, and were troubled. And immediately he talked with them, and saith unto them, Be of good cheer: it is I; be not afraid.
51 And he went up unto them into the ship; and the wind ceased: and they were sore amazed in themselves beyond measure, and wondered."  (New Testament | Mark 6:49 - 51)

It is after they cried out that the Savior not only joined them in the boat, but counseled them to be a good cheer.  And as they did He caused the wind or the opposition to cease.

Even though brief, this is a great story.