Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Mark 9

As the Savior -

"...began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again."  (New Testament | Mark 8:31)

...we know that -

"...Peter took him, and began to rebuke him."  (New Testament | Mark 8:32)

To which the Savior  -

"...turned about and looked on his disciples, he rebuked Peter, saying, Get thee behind me, Satan: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but the things that be of men."  (New Testament | Mark 8:33)

I find these rebuking words very applicable to our day.  We don't always know the mind and will of the Lord -

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 55:8 - 9)

"The things that be of men" would be the way we think and reason.  We have to be very careful judging prophets, seers, and revelators when is comes to the things of men.  We don't necessarily know their heart, purpose, and obedience to the Lord's mind and will.

One more thought.  When a father brought his son which had been possessed by a devil from his childhood, he pleaded

"...if thou canst do any thing, have compassion on us, and help us."  (New Testament | Mark 9:22)

Before the Savior, did anything he taught -

"...If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth."  (New Testament | Mark 9:23)

In response -

"...the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief."  (New Testament | Mark 9:24)

I find it very truthful as well a faith promoting as the father expressed knowing his limited belief having a desire to be helped to have greater faith.  This is the attitude we should all have.  Obviously, his faith was sufficient as the Savior casted out the devil in the son.