Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Mark 10

After the Savior had compared our relationship with others, comparing them to body parts, He said -

"For every one shall be salted with fire, and every sacrifice shall be salted with salt.
50 Salt is good: but if the salt have lost his saltness, wherewith will ye season it? Have salt in yourselves, and have peace one with another."  (New Testament | Mark 9:49 - 50)

I understand that the word "salt" in this instruction would suggest "tested" or being tested.  Thus everyone being salted would suggest as the Savior taught-

"...I have decreed in my heart, saith the Lord, that I will prove you in all things, whether you will abide in my covenant, even unto death, that you may be found worthy."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 98:14)

Thus being "tested is good".  And if not tested, how would we improve and prove ourselves?  How we are salted or tested will be different for when the young rich man approached the Savior saying -

"...what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?"  (New Testament | Mark 10:17)

The Savior  -

"...beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me."  (New Testament | Mark 10:21)

Obviously this was salt to the young man for -

"...he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions."  (New Testament | Mark 10:22)

Everyone will be salted or tested by fire to inherit eternal life.