Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, July 04, 2014

Isaiah 43

I believe that "Israel" means or refers to God's chosen people.  Thus the house of Israel would be the family of those chosen.  And being the family chosen, Christ would be its head or "Father".

One of the important messages, Abinadi was to deliver was that Jesus Christ was the "Father" and the "Son".  The Father of His chosen family.  Referring to the words of Isaiah, Abinadi taught -

"...who shall declare his generation? Behold, I say unto you, that when his soul has been made an offering for sin he shall see his seed. And now what say ye? And who shall be his seed?
11 Behold I say unto you, that whosoever has heard the words of the prophets, yea, all the holy prophets who have prophesied concerning the coming of the Lord—I say unto you, that all those who have hearkened unto their words, and believed that the Lord would redeem his people, and have looked forward to that day for a remission of their sins, I say unto you, that these are his seed, or they are the heirs of the kingdom of God.
12 For these are they whose sins he has borne; these are they for whom he has died, to redeem them from their transgressions. And now, are they not his seed?"  (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 15:10 - 12)

Understanding this doctrine, Isaiah taught -

"...thus saith the LORD that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 43:1)

Being the one that created this family, all those that He redeems become chosen and are considered his sons and daughters being spiritually born of him for king Benjamin taught his people  -

"...because of the covenant which ye have made ye shall be called the children of Christ, his sons, and his daughters; for behold, this day he hath spiritually begotten you; for ye say that your hearts are changed through faith on his name; therefore, ye are born of him and have become his sons and his daughters."  (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 5:7)

For

"....I am the LORD thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour: I gave Egypt for thy ransom, Ethiopia and Seba for thee."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 43:3)

And  because He has ransomed us and that -

"Since thou wast precious in my sight, thou hast been honourable, and I have loved thee: therefore will I give men for thee, and people for thy life.
5 Fear not: for I am with thee: I will bring thy seed from the east, and gather thee from the west;
6 I will say to the north, Give up; and to the south, Keep not back: bring my sons from far, and my daughters from the ends of the earth;
7 Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 43:4 - 7)

Thus because He is our redeemer, Savior, having ransomed us, it is He that has formed the house of Israel or that family He has chosen for -

"...I am the LORD, your Holy One, the creator of Israel, your King."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 43:15)

"This people have I formed for myself; they shall shew forth my praise."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 43:21)

He becomes the Father because -

"...I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 43:11)

And -

"I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 43:25)