Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, June 05, 2014

Isaiah 22

Isaiah describes the "partying" type nature of the people in Jerusalem saying -

"...What aileth thee now, that thou art wholly gone up to the housetops?
2 Thou that art full of stirs, a tumultuous city, a joyous city..."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 22:1 - 2)

Instead of keeping the commandments of the Lord -

"...behold joy and gladness, slaying oxen, and killing sheep, eating flesh, and drinking wine: let us eat and drink; for to morrow we shall die."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 22:13)

In this wicked attitude of living it up day to day, Isaiah tells them -

"...Look away from me; I will weep bitterly, labour not to comfort me, because of the spoiling of the daughter of my people."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 22:4)

Isaiah wanted no part of this riotous living.  We see the same attitude today in this country.  Again Isaiah warns the people of the destruction that will come for living in this manner.

What caught my attention was his prophecy concerning one Eliakim rising into power where he seems to tie this reign to the symbolic nature of the Savior saying -

"...I will call my servant Eliakim the son of Hilkiah:
21 And I will clothe him with thy robe, and strengthen him with thy girdle, and I will commit thy government into his hand: and he shall be a father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and to the house of Judah.
22 And the key of the house of David will I lay upon his shoulder; so he shall open, and none shall shut; and he shall shut, and none shall open.
23 And I will fasten him as a nail in a sure place; and he shall be for a glorious throne to his father's house.
24 And they shall hang upon him all the glory of his father's house, the offspring and the issue, all vessels of small quantity, from the vessels of cups, even to all the vessels of flagons."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 22:20 - 24)

Eliakim's posterity will experience great glory was will the Savior's.  The only difference is the day will come when Eliakim's kingdom will fail but the Savior's never will.