Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Moses 4

As Adam and Eve were being cast out of the Garden, the Lord said -

"Unto the woman, I, the Lord God, said: I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception. In sorrow thou shalt bring forth children..."  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 4:22)

And then unto Adam -

"Thou shalt not eat of it, cursed shall be the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life.
24 Thorns also, and thistles shall it bring forth to thee, and thou shalt eat the herb of the field.
25 By the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread..."  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 4:23 - 25)

To both Adam and Eve, the Lord tells them that that part of life was "sorrow".  In my mind, sorrow would suggest trials, tribulations, pain, suffering, labor and work.  But what is interesting is what the Lord taught them -

"...cursed shall be the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life."  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 4:23)

I note that this sorrow was for "thy sake" or in other words, blessing, benefit, and growth.  Thus that became -

"...as gods, knowing good and evil."  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 4:11)

I am reminded  of what Lehi taught his sons, summarizing -

"For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things. If not so, my first-born in the wilderness, righteousness could not be brought to pass, neither wickedness, neither holiness nor misery, neither good nor bad. Wherefore, all things must needs be a compound in one; wherefore, if it should be one body it must needs remain as dead, having no life neither death, nor corruption nor incorruption, happiness nor misery, neither sense nor insensibility.
12 Wherefore, it must needs have been created for a thing of naught; wherefore there would have been no purpose in the end of its creation. Wherefore, this thing must needs destroy the wisdom of God and his eternal purposes, and also the power, and the mercy, and the justice of God."  (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 2:11 - 12)

Sorrow then must be considered as good thing for Adam and Eve, not necessarily a punishment.