Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, October 03, 2013

Moses 1

Much like the Savior, as Moses was about to begin his ministration of Israel, having experienced the glory of God with an eternal perspective -

"...Satan came tempting him, saying: Moses, son of man, worship me."  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 1:12)

Satan is the father of lies, the great deceiver and conterfeiter. I think it is interesting that he called Moses "son of man" suggesting to me that he was trying to convince Moses that the focus is only this life, that he only came from man, and has no divine characeristics or potential.  Now having an eternal perspective, Moses answers -

"...Who art thou? For behold, I am a son of God, in the similitude of his Only Begotten; and where is thy glory, that I should worship thee?"  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 1:13)

Moses understand that he was offspring of Heavenly Parents, just like the Savior, even saying -

"...for God said unto me: Thou art after the similitude of mine Only Begotten."  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 1:16)

So Moses's response to Satan was -

"...for God said unto me: Worship God, for him only shalt thou serve."  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 1:15)

"And he also gave me commandments when he called unto me out of the burning bush, saying: Call upon God in the name of mine Only Begotten, and worship me.
18 And again Moses said: I will not cease to call upon God, I have other things to inquire of him: for his glory has been upon me, wherefore I can judge between him and thee."  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 1:17 - 18)

And then, upon three times in different words, Moses tells Satan -

"...Depart hence, Satan..."  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 1:18)

But Moses did not seem to have the power to get Satan to leave.  But Satan's true colors seem to come forth though as -

Satan cried with a loud voice, and ranted upon the earth, and commanded, saying: I am the Only Begotten, worship me."  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 1:19)

And even -

"...Satan began to tremble, and the earth shook..."  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 1:21)

But then we learn by what power and authority Satan has to obey  as -

"Moses received strength, and called upon God, saying: In the name of the Only Begotten, depart hence, Satan.
22 And it came to pass that Satan cried with a loud voice, with weeping, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth; and he departed hence, even from the presence of Moses, that he beheld him not."  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 1:21 - 22)

What great doctrine is had as we study the scriptures.