Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Moses 2

After everything was created on the earth, the Father now became involved where He instructed -

"...I, God, said unto mine Only Begotten, which was with me from the beginning: Let us make man in our image, after our likeness; and it was so. And I, God, said: Let them have dominion over the fishes of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
27 And I, God, created man in mine own image, in the image of mine Only Begotten created I him; male and female created I them."  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 2:26 - 27)

I my mind, this is signficant in that "man" is literal  spirit offspring of Heavenly Parents.  We learn in modern proclamation -

"All human beings—male and female—are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny. Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose."  (The Family - A Proclamation to the World, The First Presidency and Council of the Twelve Apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints)

In referring to "man", I believe He is saying mankind including both men and women.  President Spencer W. Kimball taught -

“And the scripture says, “‘And I, God, said unto mine Only Begotten, which was with me from the beginning: Let us make man [not a separate man, but a complete man, which is husband and wife] in our image, after our likeness; and it was so.’ (Moses 2:26.) What a beautiful partnership! Adam and Eve were married for eternity by the Lord.…

“‘Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam [Mr. And Mrs. Adam, I suppose, or Brother and Sister Adam], in the day when they were created.’ (Gen. 5:1–2.)

“This is a partnership. Then when they had created them in the image of God, to them was given the eternal command, ‘Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it’ (Gen. 1:28), and as they completed this magnificent creation, they looked it over and pronounced it ‘good, very good’—something that isn't to be improved upon by our modern intellectuals; the male to till the ground, to support the family, to give proper leadership; the woman to cooperate, to bear the children, and to rear and teach them. It was ‘good, very good.’

“And that's the way the Lord organized it. This wasn't an experiment. He knew what he was doing” (“The Blessings and Responsibilities of Womanhood,” Ensign, March 1976, page 71)