Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, October 14, 2013

Moses 4

I had a thought concerning "Eve" this morning.  As Adam and Eve were placed in the Garden, He instructed -

"...of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it, nevertheless, thou mayest choose for thyself, for it is given unto thee; but, remember that I forbid it, for in the day thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 3:17)

And then afterwards -

"...God, blessed them, and said unto them: Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it..."  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 2:28)

First, the Lord told them that it agency was given to them and it was given to them the ability and opportunity to choose.  I don't believe they were ignorant but fully understood this commandment and the consequences.  I also believe they understood what it meant to be fruitful and multiply and replenish the earth.

I believe that both Adam and Eve desired to be obedient to the commandments yet at the same time, I believe that they may have also desired to keep the second commandment.

I believe the Eve, even more than Adam, because of her "divine nature" had a longing, need, and desire for motherhood.  As Satan came to deceive her -

"...for he knew not the mind of God, wherefore he sought to destroy the world."  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 4:6)

Knowing that he could not destroy anyone without Adam and Eve's having posterity, says to Eve -

"...Ye shall not surely die;
11 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil."  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 4:10 - 11)

That was a distinct lie that they would not die.  I believe Eve knew that it was a lie.  But in a real sense, I think she came to the conclusion that there would be no other way to have the joy of motherhood without eating of the fruit...which was true.  She righteously chose the option that men would be knowing the hardship and suffering that would be associated with this commitment.

Adam, being a righteous man also, learning of Eve's commitment that also -

"...he did eat."  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 4:12)

This morning, I honor Eve in that she was willing to choose us other than a life of selfish ease in the Garden.