Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, July 18, 2013

D&C 104

As the Lord reorganizes the United Order in Kirtland and Zion, He teaches important doctrine and principles concerning our sustenance, possessions, and wealth.  Concerning our wealth and property -

"...a commandment I give unto you, that ye shall organize yourselves and appoint every man his stewardship;
12 That every man may give an account unto me of the stewardship which is appointed unto him.
13 For it is expedient that I, the Lord, should make every man accountable, as a steward over earthly blessings, which I have made and prepared for my creatures.
14 I, the Lord, stretched out the heavens, and built the earth, my very handiwork; and all things therein are mine.
15 And it is my purpose to provide for my saints, for all things are mine."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 104:11 - 15)

The Lord provides a different perspective to ownership thant that of the world.  He tells us that all things are really His.  We are to look at our wealth and property as stewards.  Obviously, He controls whether we are allowed to keep our lose our property.  With that understanding our stewardship -

"...must needs be done in mine own way; and behold this is the way that I, the Lord, have decreed to provide for my saints, that the poor shall be exalted, in that the rich are made low."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 104:16)

As stewards then, we have an obligation to care for the poor and needy and use that we have been given for good, for -

"...I prepared all things, and have given unto the children of men to be agents unto themselves.
18 Therefore, if any man shall take of the abundance which I have made, and impart not his portion, according to the law of my gospel, unto the poor and the needy, he shall, with the wicked, lift up his eyes in hell, being in torment."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 104:17 - 18)

Obviously, the Lord considers this a serious matter.  For those that argue that the world is limited in resources and we must scale back in bringing His children into the world, the Savior teaches -

For the earth is full, and there is enough and to spare..."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 104:17)