Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, July 08, 2013

D&C 101

Again, the Savior emphasizes His influence in the constitution of the United Sates, as the saints were deprived of their constitutional rights of property and freedom, saying -

"...those who have been scattered by their enemies, it is my will that they should continue to importune for redress, and redemption, by the hands of those who are placed as rulers and are in authority over you—
77 According to the laws and constitution of the people, which I have suffered to be established, and should be maintained for the rights and protection of all flesh, according to just and holy principles..."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 101:76 - 77)

But with these constitutional rights, we have an obligation to exercise those rights in such a manner -

"That every man may act in doctrine and principle pertaining to futurity, according to the moral agency which I have given unto him, that every man may be accountable for his own sins in the day of judgment.
79 Therefore, it is not right that any man should be in bondage one to another."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 101:78 - 79)

Thus -

"...for this purpose have I established the Constitution of this land, by the hands of wise men whom I raised up unto this very purpose, and redeemed the land by the shedding of blood."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 101:80)

But we are also taught -

"Nevertheless, when the wicked rule the people mourn."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 98:9)

So the Lord counsels the saints -

Let them importune at the feet of the judge;
87 And if he heed them not, let them importune at the feet of the governor;
88 And if the governor heed them not, let them importune at the feet of the president;
89 And if the president heed them not, then will the Lord arise and come forth out of his hiding place, and in his fury vex the nation;
90 And in his hot displeasure, and in his fierce anger, in his time, will cut off those wicked, unfaithful, and unjust stewards, and appoint them their portion among hypocrites, and unbelievers;
91 Even in outer darkness, where there is weeping, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth.
92 Pray ye, therefore, that their ears may be opened unto your cries, that I may be merciful unto them, that these things may not come upon them.
93 What I have said unto you must needs be, that all men may be left without excuse..."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 101:86 - 93)

We learn from history that the Prophet Joseph Smith approached the President of the United States and this is what he recorded -

“During my stay I had an interview with Martin Van Buren, the President, who treated me very insolently, and it was with great reluctance he listened to our message, which, when he had heard, he said: “Gentlemen, your cause is just, but I can do nothing for you;” and “If I take up for you I shall lose the vote of Missouri.” His whole course went to show that he was an office-seeker, that self-aggrandizement was his ruling passion, and that justice and righteousness were no part of his composition. I found him such a man as I could not conscientiously support at the head of our noble Republic. I also had an interview with Mr. John C. Calhoun, whose conduct towards me very ill became his station. I became satisfied there was little use for me to tarry, to press the just claims of the Saints on the consideration of the President or Congress, and stayed but a few days, taking passage in company with Porter Rockwell and Dr. Foster on the railroad and stages back to Dayton, Ohio” (History of the Church, Vol. 4, page 80).
Ridges, David J. (2005-07-01). The Doctrine and Covenants Made Easier, Part 3 (The Gospel Studies Series) (Kindle Locations 1687-1694). Cedar Fort, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

With the political motives of our day, I wonder if the same would happen today. This is a great example where the Lord "will come forth from His hiding place" and vex the nation.  But it will be according to His timing and will.