Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, July 01, 2013

D&C 100

After having comforted the Prophet Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon, as they preached the gospel being away from their families, I find it interesting what the Lord taught Sidney Rigdon saying -

"...it is expedient in me that you, my servant Sidney, should be a spokesman unto this people; yea, verily, I will ordain you unto this calling, even to be a spokesman unto my servant Joseph."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 100:9)

Being a counselor in the First Presdency, Sidney was to speak on matters as a representative and spokesman for the Prophet.  And as a spokesman -

"...I will give unto thee power to be mighty in expounding all scriptures, that thou mayest be a spokesman unto him, and he shall be a revelator unto thee, that thou mayest know the certainty of all things pertaining to the things of my kingdom on the earth."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 100:11)

As a counselor, Sidney was given power to expound the scriptures and the inspiration and revelations of the Prophet Joseph Smith.  It was not given Sidney to receive revelations because the Prophet held the keys to do so.   And having received such power to expound the Lord instructed and promised -

"...lift up your voices unto this people; speak the thoughts that I shall put into your hearts, and you shall not be confounded before men;
6 For it shall be given you in the very hour, yea, in the very moment, what ye shall say."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 100:5 - 6)

And then we learn what it really takes for others to be edified and touched by the Holy Ghost by our teaching and preaching with -

"...a commandment I give unto you, that ye shall declare whatsoever thing ye declare in my name, in solemnity of heart, in the spirit of meekness, in all things.
8 And I give unto you this promise, that inasmuch as ye do this the Holy Ghost shall be shed forth in bearing record unto all things whatsoever ye shall say."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 100:7 - 8)

"Solemnity of heart" and the "spirit of meekness" is far what method is considered effective in many denominations.  But this is what it takes for others to receive the Holy Ghost, not experience stirred up emotion.