Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, July 09, 2013

D&C 101

I find it interesting that even as the saints in Zion are experiencing great persecution and being driven from their homes and property, the Lord commands -

"...in order that all things be prepared before you, observe the commandment which I have given concerning these things—
70 Which saith, or teacheth, to purchase all the lands with money, which can be purchased for money, in the region round about the land which I have appointed to be the land of Zion, for the beginning of the gathering of my saints..."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 101:69 - 70)

And -

"...let all the churches gather together all their moneys; let these things be done in their time, but not in haste; and observe to have all things prepared before you.
73 And let honorable men be appointed, even wise men, and send them to purchase these lands.
74 And the churches in the eastern countries, when they are built up, if they will hearken unto this counsel they may buy lands and gather together upon them; and in this way they may establish Zion."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 101:72 - 74)

But because of little hope, faith, and commitment, this commandment was not followed.  In fact, to the contrary, some even began to sell their land including Oliver Cowdery.  The Lord then follows -

"...I say unto you, it is contrary to my commandment and my will that my servant Sidney Gilbert should sell my storehouse, which I have appointed unto my people, into the hands of mine enemies.
97 Let not that which I have appointed be polluted by mine enemies, by the consent of those who call themselves after my name..."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 101:96 - 97)

Adding -

"Therefore, it is my will that my people should claim, and hold claim upon that which I have appointed unto them, though they should not be permitted to dwell thereon."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 101:99)

This was the will of the Lord.  But He would later comment -

"Behold this is my will; ask and ye shall receive; but men do not always do my will."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 103:31)

As we look back in history, we know that all the saints including those residing in  Kirtland and Eastern states did not keep this commandment wherein the Lord explained His purpose and will -

"Nevertheless, I do not say they shall not dwell thereon; for inasmuch as they bring forth fruit and works meet for my kingdom they shall dwell thereon.
101 They shall build, and another shall not inherit it; they shall plant vineyards, and they shall eat the fruit thereof."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 101:100 - 101)

This may have happend had the saints (all the saints) obeyed His will.  Sounds disappointing.