Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, June 24, 2013

D&C 96

As the Prophet Joseph Smith approached the Lord on some temporal matters, the Lord instructed -

"...here is wisdom, whereby ye may know how to act concerning this matter, for it is expedient in me that this stake that I have set for the strength of Zion should be made strong."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 96:1)

And then He proceed to teache the way a stake may be made strong.  Being that the matter was concerning the purchasing of land and the dividing of lots, He teaches that these temporal matters be done -

"...according to wisdom...as it shall be determined in council among you.  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 96:3)

In my mind, the Lord was teaching that His work was to be done in working of councils.  We note today that modern day leaders continue to teach that the work of salvation is to be done in councils such as high councils, stake councils, and especially wark councils.  And as these members sit in council, their purpose and goal is to be according to, as the Lord instructs to  -

"...take heed that ye see to this matter, and that portion that is necessary to benefit mine order, for the purpose of bringing forth my word to the children of men.
5 For behold, verily I say unto you, this is the most expedient in me, that my word should go forth unto the children of men, for the purpose of subduing the hearts of the children of men for your good. Even so. Amen. (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 96:4 - 5)

Again, in my mind, adding the word "Amen" suggests that as we sit in council our sole purpose, inspiration, and decisions should be the message and "word to the children of men"..."for the purpose of subduing the hearts of the children of men for your good -

"...for I, the Lord, require the hearts of the children of men."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 64:22)

Even -

"...the Lord requireth the heart and a willing mind..."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 64:34)

This is the purpose of councils in the Church.