Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, March 06, 2013

D&C 47

As members of His Church, the Lord has taught -

"That you may be equal in the bonds of heavenly things, yea, and earthly things also, for the obtaining of heavenly things.
6 For if ye are not equal in earthly things ye cannot be equal in obtaining heavenly things;
7 For if you will that I give unto you a place in the celestial world, you must prepare yourselves by doing the things which I have commanded you and required of you."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 78:5 - 7)

This doctrine is more than evident in Church callings.  At times we are given a calling and a window of opportunity opens wherein we must perform our labors for the day comes that we are released and the window of opportunity closes.  No one in the Church is of less importance in the kingdom.

President Gordan B. Hinckley taught -

"This church does not belong to its President. Its head is the Lord Jesus Christ, whose name each of us has taken upon ourselves. We are all in this great endeavor together. We are here to assist our Father in His work and His glory, “to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man” (Moses 1:39). Your obligation is as serious in your sphere of responsibility as is my obligation in my sphere. No calling in this church is small or of little consequence. All of us in the pursuit of our duty touch the lives of others. To each of us in our respective responsibilities the Lord has said: “Wherefore, be faithful; stand in the office which I have appointed unto you; succor the weak, lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees” (D&C 81:5).  (Gordon B. Hinckley, “This Is the Work of the Master,” Ensign, May 1995, 69)

As John Whitmer is called to serve as the Church historian, the Lord tells him -

"...my servant John should write and keep a regular history, and assist you, my servant Joseph, in transcribing all things which shall be given you, until he is called to further duties."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 47:1)

Previous to this calling, Oliver Cowdery had this opportunity -

"...for Oliver Cowdery I have appointed to another office."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 47:3)